With 347 teams in NCAA Division I to choose your basketball picks from, it is obvious you need some filters, as well as some strategies. Let’s look at ten ways to improve your winning ratio for college basketball picks.
- You might begin by concentrating your basketball picks on just a few of the 32 conferences available. Rivalries are well documented and can give you some historical insight into what to expect of your basketball picks. For all college sports picks, in fact, you should always include at least a few teams looking to avenge last year’s defeat to a rival.
- Early in the season, teams play outside their conferences. This can make handicapping your NCAA picks difficult, but not impossible. Look for teams with a lot of returning players. Experience counts, especially during the first few weeks when teams are finding their legs and shooting range.
- In college, team rosters are much more volatile than they are in the pros, and this can greatly affect your NCAA sports picks. Pay close attention to injury reports, coaching changes, ineligibilities and scandals at the schools-anything that might throw a team off its stride.
- The home court advantage cannot be over emphasized in college basketball picks. It is so strong, in fact, that an unranked team playing at home against a ranked team will often cover the spread, no matter how few points are given.
- Coaches get teams fired up for important games. Your picks should include games that are “must wins” to retain in contention for tournament berths, and also home teams recently blown
out on a road trip, who are looking for redemption in front of fans.
- Many teams start the season strong, looking invincible and going undefeated for their first 8 to 10 games. Then the heartbreaking loss arrives. When you see this situation, some great college basketball picks are those teams playing their first game after a loss. The ability to rebound applies to more than working the boards.
- Betting the underdog, especially at home, is a good strategy most of the time. But when you see top-ranked teams hit the road, don’t dismiss their chances to cover the spread, especially later in the season when more is on the line, such as conference titles. Make your basketball picks based on momentum as well as stats.
- You should be extra careful whenever you see a point spread posted that seems impossibly large. The favorites are quite capable of winning over lesser teams by wide margins. If a spread looks too good to be true, it probably is. Take you college basketball picks elsewhere.
- When conference play reaches its cruising altitude in mid-season, all the numbers associated with point spreads and over/under totals become more predictable, for bookmakers as well as you. This is the time to consider putting your NCAA basketball picks on a teaser parlay card. You get more points for underdogs, or give up fewer for favorites, and the totals can be adjust up or down, too. You can create a teaser parlay with as few as two or three basketball picks.
- March Madness is tournament time, when it is do or die for all of your picks. Give special attention to little know underdogs. The top seeds are under more pressure and have more to lose, so the lesser know that are playing their hearts out for fun and the upset, often come through on the spread, if not winning outright.
Making college basketball picks can be a lot of fun and bring you excellent profits if you keep these ten tips in mind. Good luck with all of your NCAA sports picks this season!